Thursday 17 November 2011

Happy Birthday, Gordon Lightfoot

(Too bad your daughter can't be there to celebrate with you; she's busy Occupying Toronto !!)

Seems like Gordon Lightfoot's been around forever -- actually, 73 years. Over the past 50 of those, he's had a ton of hits in the folk, folk-rock, and pop-rock categories.

His "Carefree Highway" came to my mind immediately, as we drove from Phoenix to Flagstaff.
 
But, to be sure, the one song that strikes closest to home for me is "Christian Island" (I was almost stranded there once, when the ferry broke down.  I was quietly freaking, because of all of the childhood stories I'd heard about being captured and scalped !!  But, I digress.)

When it comes to Canadian musicians, I guess we really have to give Gordon Lightfoot his dues.  As I've said, he's been around forever and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who hasn't heard of him.

Happy Birthday, Gordon !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments: