Thursday 22 September 2011

Sorry, Eric...Shari's got it nailed !!

Word has it that Eric Clapton's, "You Look Wonderful Tonight" is one of the greatest love songs.  Well, to quote Steve Martin, "Well, Excuuuuuuse Me !", Eric.  I do believe that Shari nailed that category with her "Fear of Flying" hands down !!
I have luved Shari's voice since forever.  When she hits those high notes ("I listen so carefully" 2:38, "Here we go" 2:55; and then the killer "Never lose" 3:28), she just brings down the house.  I think I could listen to her doing "Fear of Flying" on permanent replay for a week and never want for more (okay..except maybe Freddie Mercury).   At some points, she actually sounds quite "slutty" and, you know, I've come to luv that too.  She just has that certain, please excuse me, "je ne sais quoi"...she really does.  It's the power of her voice.  It's....it's....it's (fade to Monty Python, if you must.).

Back in the early '80's, I was floored to find the Valdy & the Hometown Band album (vinyl) at our library.  I apologize to everyone who borrowed it after me...I'm sure that track was all but worn out !

It took seemingly forever, but I finally got to see Shari LIVE at Hugh's Room, on October 30, 2005.  See what I mean about "seemingly forever" ?  It doesn't matter.  When I like something, it stays liked (who said that ?  UPDATE:  This has been driving me crazy & I finally figured it out.  Eric Von Zipper, from the Beach Blanket Bingo movies said, "I like you. And when Eric Von Zipper likes someone, they stay liked." )

I requested "Fear of Flying" and I think I had to wait 'til the 3rd set.  It just about killed me !  But, it was soooo worth the wait.  In the interim, Shari spoke about her daughter leaving home to attend university.  I think this was the newborn meaning of this song for her !!  And that's what I think really made it a "love" song !!...and a damn good one to boot !!

I'm still wondering why, to this day, but when the first strains of the melody started, so did my tears.  I just couldn't stop the flow.  I wasn't sad, happy, giddy...any of those things.  I guess I was just "fulfilled" ?

What really gets me, is why they get such losers on Canadian Idol and they haven't invited Shari.   Or maybe they have & she's declined.  I suppose that could be a good thing.  It just irks me somehow that, of all of the Canadian talent that gets promoted every which way from Sunday, how did this gem get overlooked ?  There oughta be a law !!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments: