Tuesday 4 October 2011

I've got beans in my ears (and buttons up my nose) !!

Anyone remember the song "Beans In My Ears", as sung by The Serendipity Singers ?

Sometimes, I wonder whether my own Mom had a hand in the lyrics to that song.  That's not because of any reference to the Viet Nam war (1), nor because of the danger (2).  No, I'm pretty sure that Mom's concern was more about how to get them out again -- especially if they were the hard, uncooked ones like you use to make baked beans.

You see, when I was quite young, I shoved two tiny shank buttons from my little pink sweater up my nose.  I can't remember how we ever got them out, but they were way up there and were awfully uncomfortable.  (Perhaps I should have stuck to making happy faces in the dirt with those pretty orange baby Aspirins ?)

Anyhow, I think it's quite a shame that "Beans In My Ears" doesn't seem to get much airplay any more.  I mean, just the mere fact that it's about beans, certainly bears repeating (pun intended) !!

(1) Pete Seeger changed the lyrics of one verse to, "I think Albie Jay has beans in his ears", suggesting that "Alby Jay" -- a loose pronunciation of Johnson's nickname "LBJ" -- did not listen to anti-war protests as he too had "beans in his ears".
(2) Doctors protested that many children were actually putting beans in their ears and so it was banned in some places.  KDKA, a Pittsburgh radio station, banned the song,  following complaints from listeners and area doctors who claim that children have been putting foreign objects into their ears at an increased rate since the single was released.
Chandler, states that he has the distinction of being the only songwriter in history to have his song publicly banned by the New York Board of Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments: