Tuesday 18 October 2011

The Music of Hockey

 In honour of hockey season, I just gotta highlight a few great hockey tunes.

The Hockey Song - Stompin' Tom Connors
"Oh, the good old hockey game/Is the best game you can name/ And the best game you can name/Is the good old hockey game."


Wayne Gretzky - Waikiki Hockey

Saturday Night Live,May 13, 1989 - Episode 265 (Season 14, Episode19)
"I slipped the puck across the goal line
the crowd went crazy and roared.
But when my baby kissed me and held me in my arms
I knew that I had finally scored
."
Wayne Gretzky was the first (and, as of season 36, only) NHL player to host SNL.

Tie Domi - The best scrapper the Leafs ever had
Only Tie a little tune sung on 104.5 CHUM-FM by Marilyn Denis


Fifty Mission Cap - The Tragically Hip
True story:
"Bill Barilko disappeared that summer
He was on a fishing trip
The last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the Cup [Note: 1951]
They didn't win another until 1962
The year he was discovered."

The Toronto Maple Leafs also won in 1963, 1964, and the last time to-date, in 1967.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments: